Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Have It Your Way

I've just finished adding a new feature to Solitaire Till Dawn, one I've wanted since forever ago. I have a compulsive nature, and when I play cards to the foundations (the goal piles), I like to assign the suits to piles in this order: Hearts, Spades, Diamonds, Clubs. If it's a two-deck game then I like to double them, two by two: Hearts, Hearts, Spades, Spades, and so on. I want this enough that if an Ace is auto-played to the "wrong" pile, I will undo and then drag the offending card to the "right" pile before continuing. Of course it's easy enough to just do the dragging; but it would be even easier to just click the card and see it go straight to the right place!

I could have just hard-coded this behavior, but I never did that because I am sure that some of you have your own preferences in this, and they may differ from mine. I don't want to force my own baseless prejudices on any of you. Over the years I occasionally considered inventing a set of options for the Preference panel to give you some control over suit placement, but this always seemed like huge and confusing overkill, so I never did anything about it.

But I think I've finally got it sussed out, and my solution will be included in the new release. It is simply this: for each kind of solitaire that you play, Solitaire Till Dawn will remember which suit you put in each goal pile. After that, any automatically-moved cards of each suit will go to the same piles where you put them in prior games.

If you later decide you don't like that placement, all you have to do is place the cards by hand in whatever other piles you like, and Solitaire Till Dawn will remember your new choices from then on.

Very simple, and no need for any new controls or options in the Preferences window or anywhere else.  There's nothing you need to learn; it will just happen automagically. (And of course, if you just don't care where the Aces fall, you can ignore the whole business.)

I got this working today. Yay!

14 comments:

  1. Wow--I thought I was the only one so compulsive. Thanks! I am SO looking forward to the new release! (BTW, I like red-red-black-black.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not usually compulsive about anything, BUT when playing double deck solitaire I MUST have the suits together. Hearts- Hearts then Spades-Spades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love it. My order is hearts, diamonds, spades, clubs. Doubled up for two deck games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a super-cool and much-appreciated feature! I'm fond of diamonds-hearts-spades-clubs, and feel annoyed with myself when I start the piles incorrectly. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is interesting. I can't remember that this matters hugely to me. But I'm glad you are so delighted!

    So, what is involved in selecting suits in the same way you can select the card value, like A, 2, 3...etc? Can you simply add D for diamonds, H for hearts, S for spades and C for clubs? I don't use auto play, but select games I want to play or not based on the tableau I'm presented with (this keeps my % higher). It really helps to decide based on a scan of the board by suit.

    Can you comment?

    Thanks for all your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That's really neat and makes me look forward even more to the new release.

    I'm hanging onto an old computer that has a poor display, is cranky slow, and a few other old problems, but it's the only computer in the house on which I can play Solitaire Till Dawn. It will be wonderful to let go of that computer one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my old iBook, especially because I can play my favorite game on it. But I admit, I will do a HUGE happy dance when the latest version comes out, and I can play on my MBPro! Thank you - best game ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so appreciative of all of your hard work. I know you do this in your spare time. Any idea of when Solitaire Till Dawn will be released? There is just nothing like it and I can't wait to have it back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Long time fan (like from the beginning), and I just moved to 10.8 (my old iMac died). I'm so missing Solitaire Till Dawn and will gladly pay the fare when it's updated for 10.8. Thanks for all your labors of love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! So nice to know I'm not the only one who cares where which pile goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the same way - hearts, diamonds, spades, clubs.

    Holding off on any upgrades 'til Solitaire 'til Dawn is available!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great fix, Mr. Holzgrafe! Way to work it out! (My personal preference is Spades Hearts Diamonds Clubs, and it somehow =does= matter to me. Thanks again!)

    =So= looking forward to the new release. You have the best version of La Belle Lucie of anybody, as far as I can tell, and I surely miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a nice touch, and I really like the way it sticks without having a preference for it. Great design simplicity!

    ReplyDelete